Friday, February 03, 2006

February 4, 2006

THE REAL (ESTATE) STORY
By Larry Underhill


THE SATURDAY SUN was warm on my back as I sat munching the Seafood Platter on the rooftop patio of Ruby’s Café, a fifties-style diner perched at the very end of the Balboa Pier, a quarter-mile out into the blue Pacific. The waitress told me that I had just missed the sight of a large whale who had cavorted for an hour or so near the pier before moving on to other pursuits. Oh, well.

I RAISED MY milkshake in a mock salute as the jet carrying the other members of the Lodi Association of Realtors’ Board of Directors passed directly overhead, rising from John Wayne Airport on its way north. My fellow sufferers were homeward bound, but I got to stay and play for a day! Life is good.

WE HAD JUST completed three and a half days of California Association of Realtors conferences in Anaheim. Many good and worthwhile things had been accomplished, along with a fair amount of droning from the I-love-the-sound-of-my-own-voice contingent that is an inevitable part of any group of this kind. Ya gotta love ‘em. Sometimes these folks say something worth considering!

Three times a year, representatives from each of California’s local Realtor Associations come together to vote on changes to the forms and contracts we use statewide, to plan political strategy that protects property owners’ rights, and to cover a wide array of other business. It’s a worthy endeavor in some ways reminiscent of the early days of our country, when “citizen statesmen” would take time away from their homes and farms and businesses to labor for the good of the nation…for free! Nowadays, we’ve grown so accustomed to the idea of professional politicians that the citizen statesman concept is revolutionary. Just think what politics would be like if politicians served without pay! (I guess that would still eliminate average citizens like us, people who need to work for groceries, but it might shake some of the jokers out of the deck!).

I COULDN’T EVEN THINK of being away if it weren’t for my intrepid right-hand assistant, Greg Adams. Greg nurses my escrows, manages my listings, and works with my Buyers when I have to be away. I’m always only a cell-phone call away if there’s a need, but the day-to-day biz just flows along under Greg’s sure hand. Thanks, man!

CONGRATULATIONS to another pair of Mystery Clients on their successful purchase of a fine new Kirk Robinson-built home! Happy beginnings for my Buyers and another beautiful product from Kirk. I want to thank Kathy Williams, the listing agent on this transaction, for her help. Thank you, Kathy!

BACK ON THE MARKET: The former Buyer’s loss may be your gain! My Sellers at 5201 East Woodbridge Road in Acampo are ready for your offer. As you may recall, we had just reduced the asking price on this charming ranchette to $639,950 when it entered escrow. Great ranch-style single-story home! A landscaped acre of shade trees, lawn and deck! Family orchard! More! Now’s your chance. My Sellers are partially packed. Call for a private showing!

IT FEELS GOOD to serve mah fellow Realtors again. The last time I did the Presidential Shuffle was in the late ‘90’s. Now I’m back as a “retread”. Following 2006 Lodi Association of Realtors Prez Paul Mertz, I’ll serve as LAR President in 2007. Then…that’s it! That’s enough. Have a great week! See you next Sat.

Statesman Realty
(209) 333 2380
1-800-407-SOLD (7653)
Email: Larry@LarryUnderhill.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home